Developers make golf course planning application

| 19/04/2016 | 4 Comments
CNS Business

Ironwood development, artist’s rendition

(CNS Business): Plans for an Arnold Palmer golf course, which is meant to be part of a new resort in the Frank Sound area of North Side, have been submitted to the Central Planning Authority but officials have confirmed that it is not a planned area development (PAD) application nor has an environmental impact assessment been done. The developers behind the Ironwood development have always said the project was contingent on the construction of the east-west arterial road eastbound to the location, but despite more than two years of talks with government, no agreement has been reached on how that will be financed.

Nevertheless, developers have now said the project is a step closer and on Friday 15 April the application for the 500-acre golf course, various related waterways across another 70 acres and a golf academy was submitted to the planning department. The application is scheduled to be heard on 25 May.

Alongside the Arnold Palmer 18-hole course will be what the developers said was a 9-hole family course that features a double design to make it adaptable for ‘foot-golf’, the latest craze in North America.

A spokesperson for the developers said the project would have a positive impact on Cayman’s tourism product.

“This course will be capable of handling PGA-level tournaments, making this development a game-changer for the Cayman golf scene, setting the stage to make Cayman a true golf destination and attracting the type of visitors Cayman likes best – those with dispensable income and a love for quiet, tropical vacations,” she said.

Although the Department of Environment had agreed in principle to the use of shredded tyres as fill, no environmental impact assessment has been undertaken. However, the spokesperson said the developers would meet all conditions of the Planning Board approval in the order of when they are required. She added that planning had not required a PAD, and although the plans show the area of the proposed development, none of the vertical aspects of the resort have been submitted yet.

She said planning approval for the project is the last step before work could begin on the site using the tyres which are still being held at the landfill. If the project is approved, she said a ground-breaking is expected at the end of July.

There has been no mention of the current state of talks between government and the developers over the road development. Government entered into a duty concessions deal worth almost US$22 million with the developers of in December last year but at the time the premier described the ongoing talks over the complex arrangement regarding the financing of the road as “challenging and intense”.

Related article: Ironwood duty deal signed but no road agreement

Ironwood development plans, 3 March 2016

Tags: , ,

Category: Stay-over tourism, Tourism

Comments (4)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Anonymous says:

    the people in the east need opportunity

  2. Big Bertha says:

    This has as much chance of getting off the ground as those cruise piers in Hog Sty Bay.

  3. Anonymous says:

    soon come……maybe….

  4. Miss Pal says:

    Hilariously obvious plan to build some “man made lakes” and sell the fill. Been done too many times before. Golf course can stand alone? Lol.

Please include your email address in the form below if you are using your real name. You can use a pseudonym, with or without leaving an email address, or just leave the form blank to be "Anonymous". All comments will be moderated before they are published. The CNS Comment Policy is at the top of this page.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: