You are hereHome ›
(ABC News): The private equity firm founded by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney made use of arcane techniques in several of its Cayman Islands-based funds to avoid US taxes, according to a trove of Bain Capital's private audit and finance records made public on the website Gawker today. The audited financial statements of one of the Cayman Islands funds make note of the use of "blocker" entities, which are used to help retirement accounts and nonprofit entities avoid some taxes. Financial statements for another fund note that it "intends to conduct its operations so it will … not be subject to United States federal income or withholding tax ..."
Those details emerge on the statements of two funds in which Romney still holds a sizeable investment, according to the financial disclosure statements he filed when he announced his bid for president.
The publication of the Bain Documents on the Gawker website could rekindle debate about Romney's role at the company, and specifically about Bain's decision to domicile many of its funds in offshore locations known as tax havens.
Critics say Romney's investments in these funds offer just the latest example of how wealthy Americans can shelter their investments to limit the amount they pay in taxes.
Go to full article
The comments posted do not necessarily reflect the views of CNS or any individual staff member. All comments are posted subject to approval by CNS. Read more
- Bo Miller for Mayor. 1 day 1 hour ago
- I'm sorry but those exactly 1 week 11 hours ago
- The place where a mayor could 1 week 1 day ago
- Maybe they should stop 1 week 2 days ago
- ‘Being poor’ in this story 1 week 3 days ago
- It should have added 1 week 3 days ago
- Ummm...CUC's new licences in 1 week 3 days ago
- At what point is it 1 week 3 days ago
- Yes there are 1 week 3 days ago
- Err...So where does "If CUC 1 week 4 days ago
- Great Priced North Coast Sandy Beach Lot for Sale
- Original brand new apple iphone 5 64gb,32gb,16gb,Samsung Galaxy S3,S4
- Beautiful Cayaman Style Home
- for sale: samsung galaxy s4, apple iphone 5
- 2004 HONDA FIT
- 2004 HONDA FIT
- Walkers Rd condo for Rent - Poincianas
- Pups for sale
- SHORT TERM RENTAL
- Condo for rent